Green Valley Baptist Church
Tuesday, November 21, 2017
The Valley is Calling, Come and See...

History of Church

    
      "A church committed to reaching the world for Christ"  

History of Green Valley Baptist Church
(October 2014 Revision)
 
On April of 1895, eighty-two members of the Lebanon Baptist Church were granted a letter for them to begin a new work in their community of Green Valley.  An organizational meeting was held at the Jessee schoolhouse on May 19, at which time the name Green Valley Baptist Church was chosen for this new church.  A committee was appointed to locate a site and build a church building.  
 
Thomas F. Campbell gave an acre of land for a church and a cemetery.  Vincent Jessee gave lumber; L.S. Hargis gave stones for the foundation; and many members donated supplies and labor.  The church consisted of an auditorium with handmade pews.  Three Trustees were elected to include George W. Hawkins, George Thompson, and George J. Hargis; and Rev. G.W. Kilgore was called as the first pastor in 1896.  
 
In 1896 nine women met at the church and organized a missionary society.  Mrs. T.F.  Campbell became the first president.
 
Times were hard in 1937, and this was a bold step of faith, but people went to work and added new Sunday school rooms to the church.  Then in 1954, a large wing that had been designed by Mrs. T.F. Campbell was added.   The new wing consisted of seven Sunday school rooms, a kitchen, an oil furnace and restrooms. 
 
Valley Baptist Church along with Lebanon Baptist, Bethel Baptist and Glade Baptist were in a field of churches until Green Valley Baptist withdrew from the field in 1960 and called Rev. Stafford Compton as their pastor.  In 1961, G. Tom Kiser donated land that adjoined church property for a parsonage.  More improvements followed throughout the years. In 1966 new carpeting and pews were installed and the sanctuary woodwork was refinished.   In 1988 new lights and a baptistery were installed.
 
Green Valley members were a mission-minded church and answered God’s call to various mission projects and ministry.  In 1896, T. J. Hargis was ordained a minister of the gospel.  Lester Ferguson was licensed to the gospel ministry in September 1944 and then ordained to the same in July 1947.  Bro. Lester Ferguson pastored several churches and then became Director of Missions of the New Lebanon Baptist Association in 1982.  Some mission projects were local with work given to repair houses, cars and to construct new churches outside our area.  Church members also participated in several overseas mission trips to include mission trips to Tanzania, Costa Rica, Australia, France, Belize, and Honduras.   Members of Green Valley Baptist also participated along with the Virginia Mission Board in a mission to the Gulf Coast of the USA following hurricane Katrina.  Green Valley members assisted in constructing Emmanuel Baptist Church in Lebanon.
 
The church voted to build a new worship center to meet the demands of a growing community.   Land for this facility was purchased from Lillian Kiser and family on August 23, 1992.  On January 5, 1994 the church approved preliminary plans for the building and Little B Construction Company began preparing the site soon thereafter.  The Ground-Breaking Service was on Easter Sunday, April 3, 1994, with Rod Hale as the keynote speaker.  On June 2, 1994, the first nail was driven by Emmett Buckles, Jr.
 
Volunteer organizations were contacted to secure help in construction.  This process continued throughout the building project.  These included the Intra-State Missions Project of Virginia, the Home Mission Board, the Brotherhood Department and the Mobile Missionaries Assistance Program.  Larry Burton, Director of Missions for the New Lebanon Baptist Association helped secure volunteers from churches within the association and adjoining associations.  This was at the time the largest project known to be undertaken by a volunteer work force.  Over 21,000 hours were given on the construction.  This did not include all the hours in providing meals and shelter by the ladies of the church.   Many people gave their equipment to be used without charge.  These include bulldozers, backhoes, trucks, tractors and bobcats.  The church was, and remains very appreciative to Paul Musick and others who oversaw the construction.
 
The first service in the 21,400 square foot facility was on March 3, 1996.  The parking lot was paved on December 2, 1996.  An elevator was installed and a new educational wing was added on the west side of the building.  This new addition gave another 8,000 square feet of space.  Notable upgrades also followed which included an upgrade of the sound system and the nursery department to make our services more inviting and safer. A 40 passenger bus and a 15 passenger bus were purchased in March 2001 to help with transportation.  
 
In 1998, the original white wood frame church building was converted into a Family Life Center. Then in 2008, the original white wood frame church building was taken down and in 2009 a  new 4,800 square foot Family Life Center constructed on the original church building site. This center houses a full gymnasium, a small kitchenette, classrooms downstairs, and a large game room upstairs where our Youth meet Sunday and Wednesday nights for study and activities.
 
In 2004 Green Valley Baptist Church embarked on a program of pre-school age children education and care using the fellowship hall and adjoining classrooms.  The program named the Little Ed Learning Center was awarded authority to operate as a religiously exempt child day center by the Virginia Department of Social Services.  In the spring of 2014 a facility upgrade was completed to accommodate up to 50 students providing a daily student to teacher ratio of one teacher to ten students was maintained. The total enrollment beginning the Fall Semester of 2014 was 32 students and an additional teacher’s assistant was hired.
 
A major upgrade to the worship center sound and video recording system was accomplished in the summer of 2014 paving the way for future on-line broadcasting and recording of worship services for homebound member, nursing facilities, and the unchurched. Additionally, an outdoor portable movie screen was constructed and an outdoor showing of the popular “God’s Not Dead” movie was shown on September 26, 2014.  
 
For all of our great history, we are thankful.  We are thankful for the faithful leaders of days now gone.  We still reap harvest from their labors.  May we throughout future generations be as faithful as they, for we are writing a continual history by our lives and actions.  To God be all glory for ever and ever.  Amen!
 
 
 
 
History of Pastors
 
G.W. Kilgore ………………………………………………………….    1896-1897
W.N. Buckles .………………………………………………………..    1897-1898
P.H. Purnell  ………………………………………………………….    1898-1899
R.H. Bowden ………………………………………………………….    1899-1903
W.A. Pearson …………………………………………………………    1904-1906
T.A. Hall ……………………………………………………………....    1907-1910
J.B. Harrell ……………………………………………………………    1910-1911
J. Taylor Stinson …………………………………………………….    1911-1919
F.H. Fuller ……………………………………………………………    1919-1925
W.B. James …………………………………………………………..    1925-1929
David F. White ………………………………………………………    1929-1930
A.L. Young ……………………………………………………………    1931-1933
J. Taylor Stinson …………………………………………………….    1933-1947
Glen Yates …………………………………………………………..    1947-1948
L.G. Herndon …………………………………………………………    1948-1960
Stafford Compton …………………………………………………….    1960-1961
Ralph K. Harris ………………………………………………………    1962-1965
Ted M. Miller ………………………………………………………….    1966-1970
Ben H. Newell, Jr. ……………………………………………………    1970-1975
Allen Walsh ……………………………………………………………    1975-1986
Gary Payne ……………………………………………………………    1987-1989
Jesse V. Wilson ………………………………………………………    1989-1992
Darrell Fletcher ……………………………………………………….    1992-2003
Jim Fuller ……………………………………………………………...    2003-2010
Dr. Robert Hughes (Interim Pastor) ……………………………….    2010-2012
Darrell E. Naff …………………………………………………………    2012-Present